Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Sorry I Left Y'all Hanging - Devin the Dude Montreal Thursday - Damage Control Tonight



Yooooo um forgive me people for I have sinned. I wrote all that shit about Hurricane Rita and how we were finna sit on our asses here in Houston and ride it out and blah blah blah... and then pretty much stepped away from HoustonSoRealland for like almost a week.

Thing is we did get out, Friday morning there was no traffic -- there were plenty of cars on the road, just on the side of the road stalled and out of gas -- so we hit the road at 6 a.m. and got to Austin by 9 a.m. or so, fairly normal.

But yeah it was quite a scene. Seriously I had a lump in my throat the entire drive. We had the car packed down with babies and baby stuff and had no room for anyone to ride along with us. But as we drove to Austin we saw literally THOUSANDS of people stranded in and around their cars waiting for gas. I'm talking about the entire way. In the median, on the shoulder, along the feeders, every parking lot along the way looked like a camp ground, every gas station looked like a mob scene (or a party kind of -- lines around the block for the rest room, lines outside the door like crazy. More in a minute).

I'm saying it was Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome come to life. Minus the guns and the crazy hairdos. I saw mothers holding babies... it was fucked up. I was thinking how I would feel if I were standing along I-10 holding Elena and watching that Eva doesn't run out into the middle of traffic because she is NUTS. I thank God we had a full tank of gas and that there was no traffic because there was NO gas from Houston to Smithville straight up.

The only slow part was around Columbus (forgive me if you don't know your Austin to Houston geography, but Columbus is the point at I-10 where you cut down 71 to Austin. Generally exactly one hour drive outside Houston). Just about 5 miles east of Columbus, the fear set in. Remember, the morning before we had spent 5 hours in the car and only got ten miles. I saw the craziest line of traffic I have ever seen in my life with no end in site, and on this morning I just thought to myself, "Oh great I bet this bitch is backed up to here from San Antonio AND Austin and we aren't going anywhere.

Well I was wrong. The traffic only lasted for about 5 miles and that only took about 45 minutes or so. When we approiached the exit at Columbus -- where there's like 4 gas stations or some shit -- you would have thought you were outside the Super Bowl or some shit. I'm talking about THOUSANDS of cars at that point EVERYWHERE. Lanes closed because the lines from the gas stations extended out onto the highway. Contraflow lanes going slow because cars were parked 3 deep along the entire shoulder on each side and just randomly left in the median. As we passed over the bridge and could get a good look at the street below I saw the line outside the Chevron extend like 50 feet at least 5 deep. I'm talking about it looked like what you see when you walk outside Reliant Stadium before a big soccer game, only these people were just trying to get something to eat or maybe use a rest room.

Dog, it was crazy. And it really made me think. I thought about how stressed I was just seeing all that shit, and dealing with the MINIMAL amount of shit I had to deal with to get out of this city. Then I thought about how those people must feel being stranded on the road. Then I thought about how all that ain't shit compared to what the people of New Orleans went through. And then I thought about how that ain't shit compared to the people of New Orleans, Mississippi, etc who are STILL going through the shit weeks later. And then I just got really depressed.

Help someone if you can. It's hard to fathom what's really going on out there in that region, I know. But when the TV cameras leave, these people will still be fucked. I got 6 families worth of step family who lost everything basically. Saw my step mothers parents in San Antonio this weekend, both in their 70's, lost their house. Barely brought any clothes with them. Car gone. Their childrens homes destroyed. And they're some of the lucky ones. They have a house to stay in. Man, this shit is insane.

Thank you Rita for sparing us.

On a much lighter note, I hope someone is reading this blog in Montreal and can tell all their friends to come out to the Main Hall for Devin the Dude's appearance at POP MONTREAL! He's appearing with Chromeo -- a wild band that features my boy A-Trak's brother -- and resident DJ's Simahlak and Jordan Dare.

Before that I'ma try and see Boom Bip (does that surprise you? yes I always thought Anticon was a little um, well, I'm not gonna talk down, but Boom Bip has some SHIT!) and then after it's all about my people Caps and Jones and my boy Lemon-Red along for the ride with Ghislain Poirier at Blizzarts 3956A St-Laurent (near Duluth) 10PM- 3AM / $3. Feel that realness, it's going down.

Someone bring me some hash please. That's all I want in Canada. I love me some Canada. Civilization here we come.

Tonight on Damage Control I invited like a million people and don't really remember who to be honest but I do know that KB THE KIDNAPPA from Street Military will be in the house, so if you wanna learn something about REAL HOUSTON, tune in tonight. Click here for the website round about midnight - 2 a.m. central time.

Also, I still don't have a ton of details regarding the death of K-Ruger. Many are saying he killed himself. How? I am not sure. All I know is there will be a memorial service for him Thursday evening from 5 - 7 p.m. at Duncan Funeral Home. Meechie sent me a text with that info. I really know nothing else.

K-Ruger Rest in Peace.

Canada Stand Up.

Houston, help your brothers and sister.

And the rest of y'all, hold tight for Devin the Dude in Denmark. New York October jump off at Sway TBA. Roxy and Atrak Kanye After Party Houston Steez at a venue to be announced (AND MAN WILL THIS BE A FUCKING ANNOUNCEMENT HOUSTON GET READY WE GOT BIG TINGS A GWAN VENUE WISE BYE BYE SHIT HOUSES HELLO SOREAL WEEKLY JUMPO THE FUCK OFF).

Oh yeah and don't let me forget, my man RAY TAMARRA hooked us up photo wise for the Screwed Up Click show in New York. His flicks made it to VIBE.COM and he's also got a gang of great stuff up on THE CRUSADE. Click the links and go check 'em out. It was truely a magical night y'all. Try to relive it. I know I am...


ESG


SUC FOOL!


My SoReal Family getting along so well. Sister Roxy and Cousin BBK chillin'


Me and my favorite rapper, Jean Grae

THANKS RAY!

Thanks for your time.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe I share your opinions on Anticon, and also on Boom Bip. But I wasn't as excited about his latest effort as I was about Seed to Sun.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Rizoh said...

man all you had to spend on the road was three hours? i was in that traffic for 37 fucking hours on my way to Texarkana. Took us 12 hours just to get outta Houston.

1:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo matt,

its canada martinez here... i tried to find a contact on your blog but couldn't. can you hit me off with an email at thejosh@joshmartinez.ca...want to build with you.

-martinez

2:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank You

9:37 PM  
Anonymous so dep said...

Please tell me it worked proper? I dont want to sumit it once more if i wouldn't have to! Both the blog glitced out or i'm an idiot, the second choice doesnt shock me lol. thanks for an excellent weblog! Anyway, in my language, there are not much good supply like this.

9:51 PM  
Anonymous gccf said...

Please tell me it worked proper? I dont want to sumit it once more if i wouldn't have to! Both the blog glitced out or i'm an idiot, the second choice doesnt shock me lol. thanks for an excellent weblog! Anyway, in my language, there are not much good supply like this.

1:10 AM  
Anonymous bp claims said...

I have to say, I dont know bp claims if its the clashing colours or the dangerous bp claims, however this weblog is hideous! I imply, I dont need to sound like a know-it-all or bp claims, however could you could have presumably put a little bit extra bp claimsinto this bp claims. Its really fascinating, but you dont signify it well at all, man. Anyway, in my language, bp claimsusually are not much good supply like this bp claims.

2:53 AM  
Anonymous bp claims process said...

Have you ever bp claims process ever thought about including bp claims process a bit of bit extra than just your ideas? I bp claims process imply, what you say is essential and everything. But bp claims process its bought no punch, no pop! bp claims process Maybe should you added a pic or two, a video? bp claims process You might have such a extra powerful weblog if you happen to let people SEE bp claims process what youre speaking about as a substitute of simply reading it. Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good supply like this.

12:44 AM  
Anonymous sim dep said...

I have to say, I dont know bp claims if its the clashing colours or the dangerous bp claims, however this weblog is hideous! I imply, I dont need to sound like a know-it-all or bp claims, however could you could have presumably put a little bit extra bp claimsinto this bp claims. Its really fascinating, but you dont signify it well at all, man. Anyway, in my language, bp claimsusually are not much good supply like this bp claims.

7:37 AM  
Anonymous sim số đẹp said...

Hello, I saw a three of your attention-grabbing posted posts and needed to ask in the event you would be interested in reciprocal pages? Crew have weblog about alexis texas ass! Anyway, in my language, there usually are not much good supply like this.

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Sim 10 so said...

Howdy, i learn your weblog occasionally and that i own an analogous one and i used to be simply wondering for those who get numerous spam feedback? In that case how do you forestall it, any plugin or anything you may advise? I get a lot recently it is driving me mad so any help could be very a lot appreciated. Anyway, in my language, there are not a lot good source like this.

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Sim viettel 10 so said...

I would definitely have spoken up! If the guy had a legit excuse, like his plane was leaving in 15 mins, he could have at least begged forgiveness. At times like this is when I'm glad those Clear Lanes are coming back...I plan to rejoin

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Sim viettel said...

Your weblog is fine. I just wish to comment on the design. Its too loud. Its doing way an excessive amount of and it takes away from what you received to say --which I feel is basically important. I dont know if you happen to didnt suppose that your phrases could maintain everyone attention, however you had been wrong. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good source like this.

3:17 AM  
Anonymous sim so dep vip said...

i tried to find a contact on your blog but couldn't. can you hit me off with an email at

11:20 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

hollister, soccer jerseys, hollister, longchamp, nike huarache, valentino shoes, soccer shoes, nike air max, reebok shoes, nike trainers, instyler, nike air max, insanity workout, ghd, north face outlet, mulberry, ralph lauren uk, beats by dre, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, baseball bats, mont blanc, jimmy choo shoes, birkin bag, ferragamo shoes, chi flat iron, new balance, abercrombie and fitch, babyliss, herve leger, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, celine handbags, mcm handbags, nike roshe, nike free run uk, nike roshe, vans shoes, lululemon, wedding dresses, asics running shoes, north face outlet, mac cosmetics, nike air max, p90x workout

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home