Thursday, October 18, 2007

Big Moe Interview from 2002 - Murder Dog

I did this interview with Big Moe for Murder Dog Magazine just before the release of Purple World in 2002. Probably the hardest interview I ever had to transcribe, but what a cool dude. It's truly yet another sad day in H-Town.

Also the damn compouter fucked up last night so I gotta go up to KPFT and get last nights tribute show from the archives.

Photo by Peter Beste

Big Moe
By Matt Sonzala

Do you remember the first time you ever heard your voice Screwed?
First time I ever heard my voice Screwed? Oh what year?

Yeah when did you first hear your voice Screwed and how did it make you feel?
When I first heard Screw, I really didn't like Screw. I ain't gonna lie. My voice wasn't on there, but as like I grew old that's what everybody listened to and I listened to so much and it started sounding good to me you know what I'm saying? That was like '92 - '93. When the majority of the Screwed Up Clique met Screw anyway. I kind of like hooked up with him in '92, but I really hooked up with him mostly in '94 when we really started kicking it. That's when I heard my voice on a Screw tape. It sound kind of fly and I liked it so I stayed with it. I hopped on his album, you know what I'm sayin'? The album came out and the album did great. Featuring Keke and featuring me. Album did good and we all got paid. The album made our name big, you know Texas sized around here and it got deeper than that, it got around everywhere. Everybody know about it, you know what I'm saying?

Do you remember the name of the first tape you appeared on?
3 In The Morning, DJ Screw 3 In the Morning tape. Underground wise on a tape called RIP T-Lee, a dude that passed away. It was a RIP tape. He passed away and Screw wanted me to come sing on it. Some RIP shit, miss my potna or whatever. So Screw called me.

How many tapes do you think you have appeared on?
It's a lot. I don't know, probably about 30 or 40, I don't know. I know I been lost count a long time ago. I did a tape that did real good, I think if the underground sold this tape here for a dollar a piece, I think it went platinum. It's called June 27th. So many people have the tape. I'm on there, Pokey on there, Yungstar on there, to this day people ask for the tape. This tape for $10, this boy offered me $50 for a tape. That's another tape that people know too.

Do you ever make songs with what it might sound like Screwed in mind? Do you think about that beforehand?
I sing a lot. I'm more r&b than a rapper, but I rap too, I'm so used to doing straight up singing I feel that's where I sound good. And singing, got some good singing, slowed down, that'll always sound good. Yeah, I be thrown by how it sound slowed down. I'm so used to listening, I just started listening to the radio. I guess it's cuz I want to hear myself on the radio, but at first there was no radio. Straight to Screw. Straight Screw.

I want to ask you a little bit about syrup, because your new album "Purple World" kind of follows the syrup theme of your first album. Would you say that syrup use in Houston is really as big as the music and media makes it out to be?
It just really started getting big because of these teenagers you know what I'm saying? Me, I ain't a old dude or whatever, but I got a mother and she raised me, she really was a cool mother. She said "you want to get drunk, get drunk right here. You want to smoke weed you smoke weed in the house." She didn't want her children outside. "You want to have sex with your girlfriend? Go in your room." That's the kind of mom I got. So it's like that kind of mom she supervised us and that was my deterrent. I'm 20 something, she 47 she drank it before I was born. Police and all of them, they done it. What I done for it? There's a lot of old people I know that drank. They done it for a long time. But now since these laws, they got big cases and laws came up in it, and you just can't do it if you don't want to go to jail, cuz it's not legal.

Being that it's not legal, but it is a prescription drug, how do people get so much of it?
Well it's for bronchitis. That's what it's really for. It's a downer, and people like that feeling. I can't lie I done been on it. I talk about it a lot because it's what's going on. I don't talk about it and say I do it like that. I talk about it cuz that's what's happening. If I was talking about chronic right now, why not write another song about chronic? That's gonna sell you know what I'm saying. So I write a song about syrup.

But is it really a big thing here like it's made out to be. Is it really such a phenomenon?
Now I don't knock 3 6 Mafia, I cut for them. But I know where that started from. They came down here. Matter of fact, I kicked it with MJG and 8Ball, they from Memphis you know what I'm saying? They used to come down here and that's what everybody was doing. You wasn't no player if you wasn't doing it. Shit's crazy, but that's what everybody was doing. And we didn't make it no better cuz we said it so much on tape, and then people look up to us already. People ask me what it taste like? You want to ask me what it taste like, I ain't your parents. I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do basically it's on them.

So you can just get it on the street in Houston? Or do people go to their doctors and get prescriptions?
Well there's crooked doctors and there's the streets too. The hustlers. I been around all that before but God blessed me to get away from all that. I don't have to sell. It's dudes that will hook up with something and they on the block just like selling grass. I'm from 3rd Ward, there's a corner in 3rd Ward folks call the Million Dollar Corner, you go get anything you want over there. And they all know each other so somebody pull up wants some drank, there's probably drank over there so they call him over get the drink. Cuz this dude here he probably sell weed. This how this works. They had a couple doctors that was doing it too much. Just giving scripts out. And we saw that same old doctor in handcuffs. Cuz that's illegal how they do that right there. The doctor will give it to you if you really need it.

Is it a cheap drug?
It's cheap but it's high. I mean a pint will go for, at a pharmacy it'll go for like $12 or something. Out here it cost $225. So that's where the money at there. If they got the inside hook up or whatever, they can go in there and man. I been around when the price is high and I been around when the price is low. It's laid back and relaxing but it ain't good for you. You gotta drink a lot of water, you know what I'm sayin'? It'll dehydrate you. I done been to the hospital for it. It was just dehydration though. You have to drink a lot of water.

If you buy some syrup on the street how do you know you're not buying NyQuil or Robitussin or something.
You don't. For one thing you gotta know somebody. Some of them do it. Actually one time I gave this boy, when a pint was $275, I gave this boy an unopened Snapple container. Grape. I'm laughing, man. I said MAN!

How much of "Purple World" revolves around syrup?
I mean, purple, that's the color of it. Purples my favorite color, it's a pretty color. I feel I'd just change it up a little bit. Do something a little different. Like on a Kool Aid level.

But is it a subject that comes up on the record a lot this time around?
Naw I kind of slowed down cuz I talked about it a lot on the last one. This one here it's more deeper.

Can you tell me a little about the new record? Who are some of the guests and producers? What's you're favorite song?
Well I ain't name the songs yet, you know what I'm sayin'? But the album done though. I got a song called "Drop the Top." I like that song. It's about coming out on the boulevard on a day the sun out, drop the top, ride around, that's what it's about. Drop the top, ride through the wind. I ain't really got too many features. Last one didn't have too many features. This album here I got my best friend Toon on the album. I got Pokey and Z-ro. The producers are the Platinum Sound producers which are Wreck Shop Producers.

So you don't have a lot of features on your album? Is the Screwed Up Clique as tight now that Screw is gone as they were before? Do you still get down to do music?
On my album I got all the people on there. I got Hawk on there, I got Pokey on there, I got Keke on there. I got my people on there. We all sticking together it's just that we all signed with different labels. I wanted to be like a Screwed Up Productions, but Screw passed away so, but me and Hawk had talked one time and Screw was like he didn't want to do a CEO thing, he just wanted to DJ and I respected that. So it made me look and I made a decision and went with Wreck Shop. I think I made a good choice.

Who would you say is doing a good job of keeping the spirit of Screw alive?
Everybody representing him. Everybody miss him you know what I'm saying? I'm always going to, at a show or anything. I miss my boy.


Anonymous KCakaFo20 said...

Mannn, R.I.P.

Good read.

6:05 AM  
Blogger T.B.O.L. said...

good interview...

r.i.p. moe.

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

^^ nice blog!! ^@^

徵信,徵信網,徵信社,徵信社,感情挽回,婚姻挽回,挽回婚姻,挽回感情,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信,捉姦,徵信公司,通姦,通姦罪,抓姦,抓猴,捉猴,捉姦,監聽,調查跟蹤,反跟蹤,外遇問題,徵信,捉姦,女人徵信,女子徵信,外遇問題,女子徵信, 外遇,徵信公司,徵信網,外遇蒐證,抓姦,抓猴,捉猴, 調查跟蹤,反跟蹤,感情挽回,挽回感情,婚姻挽回,挽回婚姻,外遇沖開,抓姦, 女子徵信,外遇蒐證,外遇,通姦,通姦罪,贍養費,徵信,徵信社,抓姦,徵信,徵信公司,徵信社,徵信公司,徵信社,徵信公司,女人徵信,
徵信,徵信網,徵信社, 徵信網,外遇,徵信,徵信社,抓姦,徵信,女人徵信,徵信社,女人徵信社,外遇,抓姦,徵信公司,徵信社,徵信社,徵信社,徵信社,徵信社,女人徵信社,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,女子徵信社,女子徵信社,女子徵信社,女子徵信社, 徵信,徵信社, 徵信,徵信社, 徵信社,
徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信,徵信社,徵信, 徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 外遇, 抓姦, 離婚, 外遇,離婚,
徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信社,徵信,外遇, 抓姦, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社,徵信,徵信, 徵信,外遇, 抓姦

9:07 PM  
Blogger 123 said...

剖腹生產 命理網 姓名學 姓名配對 星座 星座運勢 算命 開運印章 風水 八字 剖腹生產 命理網 姓名學 姓名配對 星座 星座運勢 算命 開運印章 風水 外遇 徵信 徵信社 外遇 徵信 徵信社 外遇 徵信 徵信社 外遇 徵信 徵信社 外遇 徵信 徵信社 外遇 徵信 徵信社 搬家公司 搬家公司 台北搬家公司 新竹搬家公司 桃園搬家公司 台北搬家公司 整形 韓風整形 整形 韓風整形 老人癡呆症 情緒管理 微整型美容

12:58 AM  
Blogger 123 said...

失眠 疝氣 憂鬱症 瘦身減肥 看護 安養中心 精神分裂症 pc印刷 印刷 印刷公司 印刷廠 噴漆 塑膠印刷 壓克力 移印 網版印刷 鋁製印刷 清潔公司 清潔公司 壁癌 屋頂防水 屋頂隔熱 抓漏 油漆 浴室 漏水 屋頂防水 屋頂隔熱 抓漏 油漆 浴室 漏水 舊屋翻新 裝潢 防水工程 舊屋翻新 裝潢 防水工程 壁癌 健康飲食 台北素食餐廳 吃素 團購美食 水餃 素食 素食料理 素食水餃 素食食譜 素食餐廳 期貨 交友 婚友 婚友社 婚友聯誼 婚友聯誼社 愛情 愛情公寓 相親 相親銀行 聯誼 Hook and Loop 婚禮佈置 情人花束 新竹花店 會場佈置 氣球佈置 玫瑰花束

12:58 AM  
Blogger 123 said...

盆栽 網路花店 花店 蘭花 台北旅遊 台北旅遊景點 台北民宿 坪林 坪林茶葉博物館 宜蘭民宿 木柵動物園 深坑老街 真情民宿 貓空 台北旅遊 台北民宿 坪林 坪林茶葉博物館 宜蘭民宿 木柵動物園 深坑老街 真情民宿 貓空 台北旅遊景點 佈置 大陸快遞 婚禮佈置 婚紗 會場佈置 活動企劃 網路花店 花店 花束 非常婚禮 佈置 大陸快遞 婚禮佈置 婚紗 會場佈置 活動企劃 網路花店 花店 花束 非常婚禮 化糞池 抽化糞池 抽水肥 水管不通 洗水塔 消毒 通水管 通馬桶 馬桶 馬桶不通 上順旅行社 五福旅行社 大興旅行社 天喜旅行社 天福旅行社 日本旅行社 日本旅遊 日本機票 日本自由行 日本訂房 包通 抽化糞池 抽水肥 水管不通 洗水塔

12:58 AM  
Blogger 123 said...

清水溝 通水管 通馬桶 馬桶 馬桶不通 便宜機票 國內旅遊 國外旅遊 國外機票 團體旅遊 直航機票 簽證 自由行 訂房 雄獅旅遊 汽車美容 汽車美容 三久太陽能 太陽能 太陽能熱水器 三久 櫻花牌熱水器 熱水器 省電熱水器 衛浴設備 節能減碳 電熱水器 中古車 二手車 環保袋 環保袋 環保袋 十分瀑布 台北旅遊網 台北民宿 平溪 景觀餐廳 薰衣草花園 花園餐廳 螢火蟲 渡假村 鐵道之旅 團體服 滷味 滷味加盟 滷味批發 滷味食材 滷味宅配 滷雞翅 滷雞腳 健康滷味 魯味 加盟創業 慈善

12:58 AM  
Blogger 123 said...

義賣 義賣活動 慈善機構 公益彩券 健康食品 慈善基金會 公益團體 愛心捐款 捐款 美白 皺紋 減肥 禿 頭 醫學美容 電波拉皮 雷射溶脂 肉毒桿菌 玻尿酸 痘疤

12:58 AM  
Blogger 123 said...

business to business b2b b2b information b2b Business-to-business B2B Marketing b2b b2b 中古車 打蠟 二手車 汽車強制險 汽車美容保養 中古車 打蠟 汽車美容保養 隔熱紙 汽車美容 汽車美容 汽車美容 玻璃清潔 汽車保養 五金零件 模具設計 hPcb manufacturer machining center hand dryer hook and loop machining center PCB hand dryer hook and loop pcb taiwan manufacturer hook and loop taiwan manufacturer HAND DRYER PCB-CHINA PCB-CHINA HAND DRYER machining center PCB-CHINA pcb PCB-CHINA taiwan manufacturer hand dryer hook and loop pcb hook and loop HAND DRYER pcb machining center

12:59 AM  
Blogger 123 said...

taiwan manufacturer hook and loop PCB-CHINA pcb hand dryer machining center 儀器出租 五金零件 儀器出租 儀器租賃 黏扣帶 加工製造 五金販賣 塑膠射出成型 五金零件 五金零件加工 五金工具 中古儀器 水晶 韓國代購 美國代買 外遇 徵信社 外遇 徵信社 外遇 徵信 外遇 徵信社 尋人 外遇 外遇 徵信社 外遇 徵信 抓姦 徵信社 徵信 外遇 抓姦 外遇 徵信外遇 徵信社 外遇

12:59 AM  
Blogger 123 said...

抓姦 婚友社 婚友聯誼 交友聯誼 慈善基金會 老人安養 安養慈善機構 雷射雕刻 茶葉 馬克杯 聽力檢查 聽障 聽障 壯陽食補 起陽籽 壯陽 姓名學 剖腹生產 算命 姓名學 法拍屋 法拍 房屋仲介 房屋買賣 法拍屋 室內設計 室內設計 油漆工程 流行燈飾 樓梯扶手

12:59 AM  
Blogger 123 said...

防水工程 木工裝潢 流行燈飾 裝潢施工 防水工程 裝潢 燈飾照明 原裝進口燈飾 室內裝潢 裝潢施工 裝潢 室內設計 裝潢網 新娘秘書 活動設計 婚禮佈置 情人花束 網路花店 婚禮顧問 氣球佈置 屋頂防水 團購美食 台北小吃 伴手禮 四神湯 烤乳豬 大溪豆乾 團購美食 伴手禮 美食團購 夏令營 兒童夏令營 夏令營活動 宜蘭民宿 日本旅遊 巴厘?旅游 台北民宿 宜蘭民宿 台北旅遊 日本旅遊 宜蘭民宿 宜蘭民宿 國內旅遊 國外旅遊 宜蘭民宿

12:59 AM  
Blogger 123 said...

直航機票 便宜機票 台北旅遊景點 巴厘? 武陵 巴里島 宜蘭民宿 國內旅遊 武陵 台北旅遊景點 便宜機票 坐月子 月子餐 月子中心 婦產科 坐月子中心 婦產科診所 坐月子中心台北 婦產科 新生兒 坐月子中心 月子餐 產後護理 月子餐 婦產科 坐月子 性感丁字褲 情趣用品七夕情人節禮物 情趣用品 情人節禮物 情趣用品 成人用品 情趣用品 情趣睡衣 屋頂防水 通馬桶 抽化糞池 水管不通 化糞池 創業加盟 創業 創業 創業 飲料店加盟 創業加盟 人力資源 加盟展 徵才 人力資源 人力派遣 人力資源 加盟連鎖店 人力資源 加盟創業 找工作 飲料店加盟 鋁製印刷

12:59 AM  
Blogger 123 said...

搬家服務 搬家公司 台北搬家 台北搬家公司 搬家公司 搬家公司 搬家公司 在職碩士進修 留學代辦 團體服 POLO衫 團體服 團體服創意 POLO衫 馬克杯 T恤 班服 團體服訂做 帽子 Seo-Search engine 關鍵字行銷 商務資訊 SEM搜尋行銷 網路行銷 熱水器 省電熱水器 太陽能熱水器 省電熱水器 調理體質 老人癡呆症 內分泌失調 瑜珈 美白 醫學美容 瑜珈 雷射美容 整形 瑜珈 瑜珈 電波拉皮 肉毒桿菌 香水 瑜珈 瑜珈 瑜珈 ?尚美容 美白?? 醫學美容 整形 沐浴乳 醫學美容 精油 醫學美容 身體保養 夾鏈袋 環保袋

12:59 AM  
Blogger Half X said...

Over this years, the mbqngta normal look on Oakley Sunglasses Cheap design has become tweaked in Half X Oakley addition to altered, but this Oakley Sunglasses Discount straight in addition to strong Sale Oakley Sunglasses wrinkles remain to make certain Oakley Jawbone look eminently eternal and create elegance to help any hip wardrobe. The description Oakley Stpl Jawbone these appealing sunglasses need to have captivated people, right! And Half X that you are currently on the lookout for a acceptable store that has you this widest offering of Oakley Sunglasses Outlet at hugely competitive premiums.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Dsquared said...

While the others nvbghaga hold small Oakley Frogskins are safer, for they are not so easy to fall over. However, the fact is Oakley Frogskin that the sizes of Cheap Oakley Sunglasses frame should be determined by each specific condition, because the pupil of both Oakley Jawbone should be kept in line with the optical center, so that their vision can be corrected to the most extent. Vision Oakley Jawbones of too big frame would lead to blur vision, dizziness and eye ache, while Oakley sunglasses of too small frame would affect the normal development of facial forms.

1:45 AM  
Blogger Jerry Gene said...

I really like your writing style. Such a nice Post, Can’t wait for the next one.

Asus - N56-Series 15.6" Laptop - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Black (N56VJ-DH71)

Asus - Ultrabook 14" Touch-Screen Laptop - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - Black

4:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home