Monday, July 11, 2005

Dougie Fresh, Sugar Hill Gang and Kool Herc Live in Houston? No, Not Really.

Well Saturday night saw another pseudo-great night of rap come and go. An organization called the Black Heritage Society of Houston "organized" a free concert at our Miller Outdoor Theater that was supposed to consist of Dougie Fresh, Sugar Hill Gang and the daddy of all things hip-hop, DJ Kool Herc. Man, imagine my excitement when I heard of this.

Not only were three of hip-hop's earliest foundation layers gonna be in my town, but they were performing for free, in a park, early in the evening, in fairly close proximity to my (and basically everyones since its center city) crib. MAN I WAS EXCITED FOR THIS SHIT.

Hip-hop purists can say what they want about Sugar Hill Gang, they were still the first group most people outside of New York ever heard repping this form of music called hip-hop. Everyone knows Dougie Fresh is one of the foremost masters of the art and well, Kool Herc is daddy, straight up. So I called the number on the website advertising this debacle in advance and was told via voice mail that preshow activities would happen between 6 and 8 p.m., with Sugar Hill, Herc and Dougie hitting the stage at 8:15. What a fuckin' joke.

The pre-show actually started at 8 p.m. and consisted of a bunch of young people lip synching to mid-90's hip hop classics. I saw a dude doing his best Chubb Rock imitation to "Just the Two of Us." A girl lip synched to Mary J. Blige's "Real Love," and so on. Luckily each of these folks had some radical background dancers, or I and DJ Eva would have shot ourselves right in front of everyone.

See the young folks sort of talent show was cool, I'm all for young folks having a positive, good time, but that shit was all supposed to have been done before 8 p.m.

Here's a shot of the crowd:


DJ Eva got bored real quick witht he lip synchers, but liked the dancers.

Anyway, we sat there till practically 10 p.m. and watched young folks come up and do their thing, like 50 of them, I didn't know the mid-90's produced that many hits and I am surprised no one did "Bitch Betta Have My Money," or "Booty Up." I mean they did "G Thang" and a few other clean version gangsta classics. Dude who did Ice Cube's "Good Day" actually rapped it. "Nasty Bitch" woulda cleared the place out. "Funky Piano" would have had me trippin'!

AND the police AND ARMY STYLE SECURITY IN FATIGUES AND BERETS I AM SERIOUS roped off the walkway between the amphitheater seats and the hill for no reason. Why couldn't we walk through there??? Come on man. This shit was just silly.

Anyway I'm just salty cuz I never been to concerts in any other genre that have been as faulty as so many rap concerts I have attempted to attend. How many times are we good citizens supposed to attempt to attend rap concerts that just don't happen? Reports from the front line say that Dougie DID come out at 11:15 and did one full song and 4 verses, he was on stage like 10 minutes folks. Great for all the people under 10 years old and their parents who had be be in bed. Half of the crowd of like say, 4,000 people, were very young kids.

Yeah it was free but come on now. These people wasted our time and energy. I wanted to see Kool Herc and pay my respects. They gave us a live version of Star Search. Come on y'all, get it together. The Miller Outdoor Theater ballet shows don't come with no lip synchers. Why should the rap shows. Shit. Sad.

Anyway, to cheer myself up I looked at these pictures of DJ Eva doing what she does when I am not looking. Hope they cheer you up too. Today is probably the last day that DJ Eva will be baby sisterless. Elena Bella coming soon.









Enjoy. I'll update after Elena gets here. PEACE to Dave Stelfox. He brought me grime and good vibes.

5 Comments:

Blogger Black Charles said...

Those pix of DJ Eva sure cheered me up this morning, she's so cute and funny! Congrats on the new addition to the fam, hope you and your lady are able to get some sleep in the coming weeks.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Pushermania said...

Thanks man but I bet there wont be any sleep for quite a while!

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT PICS!
Good luck with numero dos.

1:44 AM  
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

michael kors outlet
coach outlet store
coach outlet online
chargers jerseys
coach outlet online
coach outlet store online
true religion outlet store
ray ban sunglasses
cheap ray bans
nike factory store

11:44 PM  
Anonymous asianembed.net said...

Asian Embed This site is a free entertainment platform where you can stream the latest and past Asian shows such as Korean,
Taiwanese and Japanese dramas and movies with English subtitles and in high quality
AsianEmbed

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home