Monday, June 06, 2005

HoustonSoSurreal...Especially when you leave it
Boyzinadaze
Devin the Dude Rocks NYC and Amsterdam



It went the fuck down. In one of the most whirlwind weeks of my whirlwind life, somehow I got to accompany Devin the Dude on his first shows in New York City and Amsterdam. Seriously, you might not know this about me, but this past week is something I have been focused on for many years. I mean shit, what better city to take Devin the dude to than Amsterdam? Pussy, weed and alcohol flow like rain in that quaint little town, and if that's really all he raps about cuz that's all he does, then it just makes perfect sense to take him there.

But first we had to make a stop in New York City for a lil event sowed up by my girl Roxy.


Reppin' the H and she ain't even been yet, she just knows real, b'lee dat.

So yeah, we took Damage Control live on the road (love to DJ Keno and the gang for holding it down in the studio, sorry for not calling but we was thowed...) to New York City to show 'em how we do. JD opened the night with a set of Houston and down south classics. For those who don't know, I knew JD when he was like 17 and lived in his girlfriends garage. Used to give him records and he's always been my man. Another factoid about JD is he was the first DJ to ever spin on Damage Control, our inaugural show May 23, 2002. He just moved to NYC (for whatever reason) so we had to give the man a call. Then DJ Chill hit the decks, then JD hit the decks again as Chill acting as MC.


Chillsofocused

Chill basically kept the crowd hyped with shouts of BLONDE BOMBSHELLS IN THE HOUSE (a nod to the girls dancing stage left) and FADER MAGAZINE IN THE BUILDING FADER MAGAZINE IN THE BUILDING FADER MAGAZINE IN THE BUILDING...


Cuz him and CatchDubs is just like that


One of said bombshells

There's lots to be said about this show. They killed it man. Everyone. But I know what you want to see, that's right...

NAS, and Kelis, showed up to greet the dude. Stayed for the whole show, whoa. Seriously, Nas and Kelis made the trek to a small punk rock style bar in the LES called Rothko to say what's up to the Dude. Nassoreal.


Roxysoreal and Cool Spankrocka

Man, so just after Nas and Kelis walked in the building, Spankrock took the stage. Spankrock lives in Philly but is from Baltimore (right?) and this dude takes these ill Baltimore house style beats (though quite hip hop and avant garde) and just goes ragge over them. Fucking wrecks.



Dudes set was off the chain. Very different from that Texas shit, but a decent compliment to Devin's style. For real, it was some ill shit. Like this totally unique and raw east coast dude with this totally unique and raw down south dude. Fucking had me fucked up. That and them drink tickets.




He even had a nice nice dancer who's name I know, but not right now (no sleep for a week literally and here I sit blogging probably forgetting everything but maybe not fuck man, I should break down the sleep patterns of the last week for y'all before this is all said and done).


Then the dude hit the stage. Straight up, Devin has this serious energy that is just infectious. He's one of those people who just draws you in with his realness and his niceties. For real, on stage back in the day I used to question him a bit cuz his laid back style almost came off as nervous and his crowd rocking techniques weren't quite there. But in the past couple of years, this intense smoking machine has mastered the art of breath control and has figured out how to rock a crowd and still be Devin. Like for real, you've never seen a crowd get so hype to someone so mellow before in your life.







He opened up with "To the Extreme" and just went on and on for about 45 good minutes, dropping a melange of underground hits to a New York crowd who sang along to pretty much everything. Spankrock made a comment on the Hollertronix board about how there were no girls in the house and all the black people except Nas and Kelis came with him. Well I mean, he was wrong. The crowd was fairly diverse, with like a decent majority of folks in there being press people, obsessed with Devin like me. But shit, there was some ladies in there and shit, there was a lil some of everybody in there.







Devin straight wrecked.








Roxy and Devin... Peep dude checking Roxy's ass or maybe legs or both HARD.

After the show, as Devin wove through the crowd, he was greeted with pounds and extremely excited thank yous from a good portion of the crowd.


VIP's CatchDubs, AnalogBeauty and Emynd (I Never met so many people I only knew virtually in one night in my entire life, amazing thing the internet)


And neither did Devin, tell me who dat is?




DJ Ayres brought us a CDJ. SOREAL!


Brought to you by the SoReal Family Representaz. For real. So Real. Thanks Roxy. You Rule.

Peep the fly MECCA shirt I'm wearing courtesy of my girls Sataurius and Joelle. Y'all really hooked a couple of bum ass Texans up. My trouser situation has been in tatters for months.

Top 2 Things Said By DJ Chill on His First Trip To New York:

1. Damn, they put they garbage right on the street here.
2. Lookit that lil ass MacDonalds!

Then we headed out to Amsterdam...


Boy ripped it to a full house at The Melkweg. Props to State Magazine for really representing and bringing us out to their kick off party.


The show was Saturday night, but Friday night Kees de Koning and company brought us out to 3fm (Hollands biggest pop station)/3voor12 to do a lil interview and have a surprise birthday party. That's right, Devin's first appearance in Amsterdam/Europe happened to happen on his birthday. The interview was so fuckin' real they even talked to me (link later).




They even had a cake. Fucking lekker. AND they let us smoke weed right there on the mic.

After the show Kees put us on the list at Paradiso where they had this incredible party and I hung with my man...

LeanSippa from Brussels and my man

Remington Steel (Murder Dog UK) from London as well as my man Steve and Brian Bartholomew from Murder Dog London, who I didn't get good photos of.

Which is a pity cuz Brian is MY MAN! Filmed the whole show so get ready to rumble.


Saturday Devin hooked up with Lange Frans, a HUGE rapper in Holland who has a few big pop hits and even does some hosting for MTV Netherlands, here you see Devin doing said MTV interview.


And here as well.


Then came the show. Now this show was a part of a kick off party for the new webmag called The State. So it was big, poeople were in the house. I had to wonder as I peered out from backstage just before Dev went on if these folks were in the house for Devin or the party, but when the first beats from "To the Extreme" came on and every hand in the house went in the air and people were screaming I knew Devin fans were in the house. The response was really incredible. I been telling Devin and Rap-A-Lot that Devin has fans everywhere (as well as a lot of Rap-A-Lot artists) but no one ever listened to me. Hopefully they will now.

Peep the photos. Fucked up thing is the CDJ was fucked up and would not play his beat CD continuously so I had to stand back behind the tables like a pseudo (read: fake) DJ and push the play buttong between every song. So my photos suffered a bit, but look at that crowd...























When I was on stage I saw this dude in the crowd with a Whut it Dew T-Shirt, found him afterwards, but I didn't find the dude I spotted with the Screwed Up Click shirt.


The dude in the Whut it Dew shirt said for me to tell you - "Yo tell them niggas all we do is jam Screw over here nigggaaaaaaaa."


After the show I stayed at the club and watched this FUCKING AMAZING set by Dutch artists Stick, Jawat and Kubus. The show was hype as fuck and all I gotta say is Kubus has some of the finest beats I've heard in years. Dude killed it and my stoned ass was vibing hard, in the back though so I didn't get photos. The weed does hold me back at times.

Next time, we'll be in Europe for a bit longer. Japan, New Zealand and Australia are next. Houston stand up, the shit is possible. Start thinking about it. I'm ready to go anytime. Holler back yung un.

Links to More Thowed Bitnes Regarding the Devin X-Treme Mini Tour of Amsterdam and Niuew Amsterdam:

Live on 3 Voor 12/3fm Friday Night Listen HERE

CatchDubsSoFuckingTrill

Bubonic B Photos from Amsterdam

Hardly Art Take On NYC Situation

Good Good

This One Has Video Clips of NYC Show

RoxyExtremelyRealPhotos

Wifebeater on Devin

www2.statemagazine.nl

Fader Magazine In The Building (DJ Chill Says So Respect Dat)

EmyndSoReal

And then Catch Dubs Said THIS and I had to go cry to toilet: "This sort of goes without saying, but I will say the shit out of it anyway: props to Matt Sonzala for working to make this TX/NYC exchange program happen. Where some people will take a needessly provincial attitude towards their local scenes on some cornball "I discovered this first, you're not entitled to enjoy this, blah blah" sense of pseudo-ownership, my man Soneezy actually appreciates that other people are into the same stuff he's into, and is down to collaborate with folks like Roxy and put in work so that creative and lucrative shit can pop off for all involved. Real talk."

I'm about to elaborate on this very statement later this week in an article entitled "White on White Crime: Why You Gotta Be a Bitch About Things Bitch?" What you is reading my mind now Dubzeezle?

If I don't hit 200,000 hits this week I'm killing a kitten. I mean, probably just um bitch about it, but I might kill a kitten so tell a friend about HoustonSoReal.

Devin Live in Amsterdam audio coming soon courtesy of 3voor12.

55 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that's what I call a round-up! Once again, MAJOR props for bringing Devin to Amsterdam and hope to see y'all again later this year. Keep us posted.

2:18 AM  
Blogger Tony Chapman said...

KEEP DOING UR THANG MATT. IT'S PEOPLE LIKE U WHO KNOW WHAT THE PUBLIC WANTS AND U BRING IT TO US.

PEACE,
Tony-C

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Already, Matt... Good lookin' out on the post for those of us who couldn't attend... Looks like ya'll had a throwed time...

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DAMN THOSE ARE SOME EVIL MOTHERFUCKAS

3:42 PM  
Blogger Pushermania said...

who's evil???

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was OFF THE HOOK!!

supertight!!

thanx-a-lot matt!

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn partna'...I've been bangin The Dude since the the Odd Squad dayz. He is by far my favorite rapper in da game but I live on the southside of H-town so I am probably partial...I recently met Devin at a show at Aqua Lounge(now out of business)...he was just as cool in person as on his CD's...he even chiefed with my cracker azz in the V.I.P....any info on how I can peep him on the local tip???

Amestradam and The Dude...what a F@#$in' combo!!!!!! late

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sup Matt,
I'm an artist out of San Antonio (http://www.rukuslive.com) and I just moved to Houston a couple of months ago. Good to see that you support hip-hop and not just conscious "preach-to-the-world" hip-hop, but just good music. I've been waiting for Devin to blow to that next level because he's one of the more original southern emcees out there. Glad to see that he's doing shows internationally and getting some recognition...I know bigger things are coming for him and hopefully other Southern artists.
Keep supporting good music...

BTW, where is Damage Control located?

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo, Matt. All the shit you've given to me in the form of many jammed-out late nights, and I just realized I never given anything back. Grandma always said, "You get what you give."

So, I think it's time for me to give. Hit me up and let me know where to drop some scratch in support of Damage Control.

11:23 AM  
Blogger DJ Stef said...

I said the same thing as Chill my first time in NYC. I've been to Houston, I want a hat!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Pushermania said...

Stef, you said LOOKIT THAT LITTLE ASS MACDONALDS?

Man.

And next time I'm at the flea market on Westpark, which will be soon, I will get you a hat no doubt.

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good lookin' on the show but shame you had to get those parasites roxy and catchdubs involved. oh well...

2:55 PM  
Blogger Pushermania said...

dont call my people parasites. they are hosts, im the parasite suckling off that new york love with no shame in this here game...

and if yer gonna call someone a name identify yourself homedoggity.

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I coulda made it to one of those shows, Devin is by far top 5 out of the south ever.



And BTW - Where can I cop one of those Bavu shirts you rockin in the pic???

6:41 PM  
Blogger Pushermania said...

try www.bavublakes.com and if that dont work hit me with your email and i will get you in touch wit the man himself.

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mann. doing it big. you really need to get devin to do a show here soon. if only we had the same legalities as amsterdam.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Pushermania said...

where you at cory lets do it. We're looking at Winnipeg and Toronto at end of July possibly and Europe again in September and Novemeber so holla, Holla, HOLLLAAAAA

7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a great fucking time.. houstonsosurreal for sure..

NZ/Aus?! oooohhh snapp that'd be a damn good look.

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm in houston! first ward! haha

but for real. devin and ugk have been the only groups i have been able to jam religiously since early high school. it doesn't get old. keep it up. fly the globe if thats what it takes. get thoreaud!

you've probably already done more promotion for devin than rap-a-lot.

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The dude in the S.U.C. was the Sharky aka Tha Ghost. Sorry I had to drop the third person there. But anyway the show chill, smoking weed in the club and shit. I had to move my trip to the Dam up one day when I heard about the Devin concert. Hopefully, I'll get to catch him again sometime. I didn't know there was another act after Devin or I would have stayed. My bro was falling asleep during the show so we got the hell out there quick.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Pushermania said...

wow sharky holler at me sometime man. i saw you in the crowd mayne! PEACE matt at damagecontrolradio dot org

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helll yea nigga this is MaNiaKkK from Holland reppin Amsterdam 020 recoqnaaaze we got the craziest niggas down here dats how we do

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank You

9:29 PM  
Anonymous so dep said...

I used to be more than happy to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this nice learn!! I positively having fun with every little little bit of it and I've you bookmarked to take a look at new stuff you post. Anyway, in my language, there aren't much good supply like this.

9:39 PM  
Anonymous gccf said...

I used to be more than happy to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this nice learn!! I positively having fun with every little little bit of it and I've you bookmarked to take a look at new stuff you post. Anyway, in my language, there aren't much good supply like this.

1:06 AM  
Anonymous gulf coast claims facility said...

Hey cool blog, just questioning what anti-spam software you use for feedback because i get lots on my blog. Anyway, in my language, there should not much good supply like this.

2:32 AM  
Anonymous bp claims said...

Hi, bp claims read your weblog sometimes and that i bp claims own a similar one and i used to be just wondering bp claims when you get loads of spam feedback? In that case how do you stop bp claims, any bp claims or anything you'll be able to recommend? I'm getting a lot bp claimsit is driving me mad so any assist could be very much appreciatedbp claims . Anyway, in my language, there are usually not a lot good supply like bp claims.

2:41 AM  
Anonymous bp claims process said...

Wonderful learn, I bp claims process simply passed this onto a bp claims process colleague who was doing some research on that. bp claims process And he really bought me lunch because I bp claims process found it for him smile So let bp claims process me rephrase that: bp claims process Thanks for lunch! Anyway, in my language, there are not much good supply like this.

12:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

In addition, you will bghviyr make a massive evaluation together with some other Oakley Sunglasses Cheap coming from some other spectacles Half X Oakley online retailer. You may edge Oakley Sunglasses Discount a whole lot coming from spectacles online retailer. In Sale Oakley Sunglasses, the particular shape just isn't the Oakley Jawbone key portion. each of which provides individual rewards or perhaps attributes. And also Oakley Stpl Jawbone fruit associates can easily specifically improve distinction inside overcast, hazy and also Half X low-light ailments. Once you've received the particular prescribed, it is possible to head to look for for almost any best Oakley Sunglasses Outlet.

2:07 AM  
Anonymous sim dep said...

Now that's what I call a round-up! Once again, MAJOR props for bringing Devin to Amsterdam and hope to see y'all again later this year. Keep us posted.sim số đẹp

7:39 AM  
Anonymous sim số đẹp said...

Hello, I saw a three of your attention-grabbing posted posts and needed to ask in the event you would be interested in reciprocal pages? Crew have weblog about alexis texas ass! Anyway, in my language, there usually are not much good supply like this.

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Sim 10 so said...

Howdy, i learn your weblog occasionally and that i own an analogous one and i used to be simply wondering for those who get numerous spam feedback? In that case how do you forestall it, any plugin or anything you may advise? I get a lot recently it is driving me mad so any help could be very a lot appreciated. Anyway, in my language, there are not a lot good source like this.

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Sim viettel 10 so said...

I would definitely have spoken up! If the guy had a legit excuse, like his plane was leaving in 15 mins, he could have at least begged forgiveness. At times like this is when I'm glad those Clear Lanes are coming back...I plan to rejoin

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Sim viettel said...

I am thoroughly convinced in this said post. I am currently searching for ways in which I could enhance my knowledge in this said topic you have posted here. It does help me a lot knowing that you have shared this information here freely. I love the way the people here interact and shared their opinions too. I would love to track your future posts pertaining to the said topic we are able to read

6:03 AM  
Blogger Bnard said...

Bnard G
MANNN!!! Matt I miss this(sometimes)... LOl

10:50 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

gucci outlet, louis vuitton, louboutin, michael kors outlet, nike outlet, ugg boots, polo ralph lauren outlet, uggs on sale, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, tiffany and co, longchamp outlet, nike air max, jordan shoes, louis vuitton, nike air max, nike free, louis vuitton, michael kors outlet, louboutin shoes, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, burberry, tiffany jewelry, michael kors outlet, michael kors, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, tory burch outlet, longchamp, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin outlet, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, replica watches, burberry outlet online, louboutin outlet

6:40 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike roshe run, oakley pas cher, timberland, air force, converse pas cher, vans pas cher, sac longchamp, hermes, nike blazer, ray ban pas cher, coach outlet, nike free, lacoste pas cher, michael kors, longchamp pas cher, michael kors, true religion outlet, kate spade handbags, sac guess, vanessa bruno, air jordan pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, true religion jeans, north face, louboutin pas cher, ray ban uk, tn pas cher, chanel handbags, north face, coach outlet, hollister, air max, true religion jeans, coach factory outlet, michael kors, lululemon, hollister pas cher, new balance pas cher, true religion jeans, coach purses, kate spade outlet, nike air max, michael kors, hogan, burberry

6:48 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

converse, links of london, louis vuitton, oakley, swarovski, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, michael kors outlet, gucci, juicy couture outlet, pandora charms, ray ban, iphone 6 cases, vans, ugg pas cher, ugg boots uk, converse outlet, marc jacobs, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton, montre pas cher, sac louis vuitton pas cher, hollister, wedding dresses, hollister, coach outlet, toms shoes, pandora jewelry, pandora charms, louis vuitton, nike air max, thomas sabo, lancel, karen millen, michael kors outlet online, michael kors handbags, doke gabbana outlet, timberland boots, pandora jewelry, swarovski crystal, replica watches, bottes ugg, louboutin, supra shoes, ralph lauren

7:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

hollister, soccer jerseys, hollister, longchamp, nike huarache, valentino shoes, soccer shoes, nike air max, reebok shoes, nike trainers, instyler, nike air max, insanity workout, ghd, north face outlet, mulberry, ralph lauren uk, beats by dre, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, baseball bats, mont blanc, jimmy choo shoes, birkin bag, ferragamo shoes, chi flat iron, new balance, abercrombie and fitch, babyliss, herve leger, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, celine handbags, mcm handbags, nike roshe, nike free run uk, nike roshe, vans shoes, lululemon, wedding dresses, asics running shoes, north face outlet, mac cosmetics, nike air max, p90x workout

7:07 PM  
Anonymous شركة بن طامى said...


شركة عزل بالرياض

شركة عزل خزانات بالرياض

شركة عزل اسطح بالرياض

شركة كشف تسربات بالرياض

8:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

new england patriots jersey
james harden shoes
retro jordans
reebok outlet
longchamp handbags
longchamps
kobe 11
longchamp bags
basketball shoes
adidas nmd r1
20170725

4:49 PM  
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

ugg boots
michael kors outlet
ugg outlet
ralph lauren outlet
ugg boots
ugg outlet
ralph lauren polo
gucci shoes
nike blazer
ugg outlet
2017.7.29

10:44 PM  
Blogger jeje said...

longchamp longchamps
adidas tubular x
tory burch shoes
kobe sneakers
michael kors purses
fitflops sale
irving shoes
retro jordans
pandora jewelry
adidas yeezy

5:57 PM  
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

cheap mlb jerseys
coach outlet
michael kors handbags
coach outlet
coach factory outlet
nike soccer shoes
nike factory outlet
polo ralph lauren
air max 90
san antonio spurs

11:11 PM  
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

zzzzz2018.4.25
ray ban sunglasses
air max 90
coach outlet online
cheap basketball shoes
ray ban eyeglasses
true religion jeans
ray ban sunglasses
ralph lauren outlet
nike outlet
miami heat jersey

7:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

www0615


michael kors outlet
kate spade outlet
san francisco 49ers jerseys
coach factory outlet
cheap football shirts
canada goose outlet
malone souliers
burberry outlet
swarovski crystal
ray ban sunglasses

7:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

zzzzz2018.7.7
pandora
true religion outlet store
nike factory outlet
christian louboutin shoes
nike air max
polo ralph lauren outlet
canada goose jackets
kate spade outlet online
supreme new york
superdry clothing

6:18 PM  
Blogger jeje said...

canada goose outlet
true religion jeans outlet
canada goose
ugg boots outlet
ecco shoes
basketballl shoes
true religion jeans
ugg boots clearance
moncler outlet
red bottom shoes

5:46 PM  
Blogger zzyytt said...

supreme hoodie
nike air force 1 high
adidas nmd r1
vans store
chrome hearts store
nike shox
golden goose
vans shoes
adidas eqt support adv
cheap jordans

8:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

michael kors outlet store
kyrie irving shoes
jordan shoes
adidas gazelle
kevin durant shoes
michael kors outlet
asics shoes
fila disruptor 2
pureboost
adidas nmd r1

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Cara Mengobati Telinga Berair said...


Continue to Perbiki his blog to get a good blog !!

Cara Mengobati Penyakit Gula Darah
Cara Mengobati Jamur Mulut
Pengobatan Epilepsi Dengan Bahan Alami
Cara Mengobati Rematik
Pengobatan Berbagai Macam Luka
Pengobatan Penyakit Kanker Payudara

11:57 PM  
Anonymous clinton said...

well i have visited their site once, so fast, hopoe this new one will be same.

ndlea recruitment registration

ndlea recruitment registration

2:53 AM  
Anonymous http://ariadnetravel.com said...

Hey, Great website basically a heads up that I was getting instantly sent straight to the homepage if I viewed this internal web page; It looked like a web browser hi-jack or something, I’m not too absolutely certain but imagined you might be informed about it. Take care http://ariadnetravel.com/

10:45 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

yeezy
golden goose sneakers
steph curry shoes
a bathing ape
hermes handbags
jordan shoes
stone island
curry 8 shoes
moncler coat
off white jordan 1

3:20 AM  
Anonymous https://casaparadiso.net said...

The next time I learn a weblog, I hope that it doesn't disappoint me as much as this one. I imply, I know it was my choice to read, but I really thought you'd have one thing attention-grabbing to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about one thing that you would fix in the event you weren't too busy looking for attention.       https://casaparadiso.net

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home