Saturday, April 29, 2006

See Me On Stage Sunday Rockin' and Shockin' 'Em on Down On Da M-I-C

Well o.k. I won't do much rockin' and I doubt anybody will be shocked if I drunkenly start screaming about the price of gas and how it relates to the war in Iraq, impending war in Iran and the gentrification of 4th Ward and marijuana laws in general. But I will be on stage at the iFest tomorrow (Sunday) introducing one of the most dynamic bands I have ever heard in my not so young life.

Tinariwen.



They played Austin a couple of weeks back on the night I had just gotten back from New York. I couldn't convince my wife to load up the kids and drive to Austin directly from the Houston airport in hopes of seeing them, and well, I got kind of mad. Like why the fuck can't I be in ten places at the same time while feeding the kids, doing the work, etc. I can't fine.

But then a couple days later I was looking at the Houston International Festival website and lo and behold there was Tinariwen, headed to my town, Sunday April 30th at 2:15 p.m.

Imagine my excitement. Then imagine my excitement as I was minding my own business, drinking a few beers at the Rammellzee thang thang last night, when my homey Gina asked me if I wanted to introduce the band. Hell yeah I want to introduce the band. I want to meet these folks. Shit, I haven't been floored by a band like they hath floored me in a long time (excuse the horrible writing today, I've been um, drinking).

Anyway, since I've been drinking I don't know what to say other than if yer in Houston come meet me downtown at the iFest tomorrow at noon. I'll be there with family, friends and beer.

For more info on Tinariwen, my man at the Tofu Hut posted a song and some info round about last summer when they passed thru Joe's Pub. Peep it on down right here.

In a nutshell Tinariwen are a band from Mali who play spaced out desert rock from Africa which roughly translated means they are better than whoever the fuck you saw at the chi chi spot last night. Be a real man, or a good good woman, and join us downtown tomorrow. The weather is perfect and the vibes will be very very right, I promise.

MORE FESTIVAL SCHEDULE INFO HERE.

MP3 Link from das Tofu Cribbo - Tinariwen - Eh Massina Sintadoben

Here's what the iFest website has to say about Tinariwen:

Mystical figures in robes and turbans outfitted with Fender Strats, the band members are Tuaregs, a nomadic people spread across the Sahara who staged fierce, unsuccessful rebellions during the 1990’s in Mali and Niger. They came together as exiles in a refugee camp in Libya and played their songs for propaganda during the rebellion. A decade of uneasy peace later, Tinariwen sings stark, hypnotic songs about the harshness of desert life and a still-smoldering rage, suggesting the kind of bleak one-chord blues of John Lee Hooker that hits home no matter where you call home.

OK not the best of write ups but whatever, come down fool.

And listen to more music here.

Bio by Andy Morgan.

So official.

Live giggage from 2004.

And yes, one day I will once again write about Houston rap. First I'ma write about Dallas rap next week, cuz they got next. Then back to Houston.

6 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Good lookin' out Matt, glad to see you're branching out on here.


That music track's from the hut's been gone for a minute; try this URL for a song called Imidiwaren: http://web.joespub.com/caltool/nicemedia/audio/Tinariwen%20-%20Imidiwaren.mp3
That should be up for awhile; feel free to hotlink.

Those who only respect gangsta music should be aware that Tinariwen were rebels fighting for their people's rights and lives in the deserts of Mali. Lots of people talk about being gun-toting soldiers; these guys are fuckin' legit. More importantly, as Matt points out, the music is legit.

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

R.I.P. to H.A.W.K. man, Matt I'm hoping you'll do an article on this...couldn't have come at a worse time for H-Town :(...at least he's with Pat, Screw, Mello, and the rest now.

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who cares how good their music is they look like terrorist

8:07 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike roshe run, oakley pas cher, timberland, air force, converse pas cher, vans pas cher, sac longchamp, hermes, nike blazer, ray ban pas cher, coach outlet, nike free, lacoste pas cher, michael kors, longchamp pas cher, michael kors, true religion outlet, kate spade handbags, sac guess, vanessa bruno, air jordan pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, true religion jeans, north face, louboutin pas cher, ray ban uk, tn pas cher, chanel handbags, north face, coach outlet, hollister, air max, true religion jeans, coach factory outlet, michael kors, lululemon, hollister pas cher, new balance pas cher, true religion jeans, coach purses, kate spade outlet, nike air max, michael kors, hogan, burberry

6:50 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

hollister, soccer jerseys, hollister, longchamp, nike huarache, valentino shoes, soccer shoes, nike air max, reebok shoes, nike trainers, instyler, nike air max, insanity workout, ghd, north face outlet, mulberry, ralph lauren uk, beats by dre, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, baseball bats, mont blanc, jimmy choo shoes, birkin bag, ferragamo shoes, chi flat iron, new balance, abercrombie and fitch, babyliss, herve leger, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, celine handbags, mcm handbags, nike roshe, nike free run uk, nike roshe, vans shoes, lululemon, wedding dresses, asics running shoes, north face outlet, mac cosmetics, nike air max, p90x workout

7:10 PM  
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

polo ralph lauren
gucci sito ufficiale
cheap ugg boots
ugg outlet
nike outlet
christian louboutin shoes
gucci shoes
michael kors handbags
coach outlet
oakley sunglasses

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home