Tuesday, May 01, 2007

How We Miss Our G's
One Year Ago Today
My World Was Rocked
And H-Town Lost
A lot...

I'll never forget the call. It was 11:30 p.m. on May 1st, 2006. I had already shut down my cell phone for the night and was preparing for bed when my home phone rang. It was DJ Chill. I thought to myself, "Why the hell is Chill calling my home phone this late? What the hell happened."



I said "Hello?" and like every time Chill calls he said "MATT THIS CHILL."

I said "Yes, what's up?"

Chill says, "Mayne Hawk got shot mayne."

I said, "No he didn't."

He said "Yes he did!"

I said, "No he didn't who the hell would shoot Hawk? Are you sure?"

He said, "I'm on the way over there now, I'll hit you back." And hung up.

That's verbatim.

I went to my room thinking that there is no way that could possibly be true and the next morning I would wake up to find it was all a hoax.

How in the hell could the coolest dude on the Houston rap scene get shot? Who would shoot him? Why? I couldn't even fathom it.

Some people, sure, you call and tell me they got shot, I might shed a tear, but I won't be surprised. I was pissed when Pac and Biggie died but I wasn't surprised. I definitely wasn't surprised when Pac was shot, and after that happened I figured it'd only be a matter of time till someone hit Biggie. (Though I still have these feelings that one day they will return from the island they are hiding on, on some "We hath ressurected like Jesus to save hip-hop" type shit. But I'm probably wrong.)

Anyway man, there's not much I can say that hasn't been said before. I'm feeling real shitty today. Thinking about his beautiful wife and children that were left behind all because some sack of shit felt he had something to prove when he shot a genuine H-Town rap legend.

I take this shit personally because I know/deal with pretty much every artist on the scene here in Texas. There's a lot of cool people, but no one carries themselves as humbly as Hawk. No one is as approachable. No one takes care of his people, like Hawk did.

I mean seriously, if I ever wanted to do anything with the SUC, I'd call Hawk. If we ever needed an expert opinion on Damage Control, I'd call him and he'd be there. I'm talking about from Day 1 when we were nothing, he'd always show up. If I called him and said "Hawk, you should be at this event," he'd be there. No question.

He was the man.

To this day his killer(s) has not been caught. Some folks on the street and on the internet say that his killer has "already been dealt with." Whatever, I want proof. Put the motherfuckers head on a stick and throw it in the ocean. It kills me to even think about it. That was my dude and I miss you brother.

If you missed it last year you can DOWNLOAD OUR TRIBUTE TO HAWK FROM DAMAGE CONTROL LAST YEAR HERE.

I'm listening to it right now, feeling real crazy. We're gonna do something great for him tomorrow night once again.

R.I.P. BIG HOMEY!

And please stop the violence. Please.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"And please stop the violence. Please."

Real Talk Matt! Real Talk!

I remember getting an email when i got into work, it was like 9am here in UK when i turned on my computer. I was surprised to see an email had came through at around 6am UK time from a friend in Houston and I opened it up to the terrible news. Man I was shocked, read it like 8 times cause I couldn’t believe the words!

Gonna bang this tribute for the whole office right now, they need to know we lost a legend 1 year ago today!

R.I.P Big H.A.W.K

Gone, but never forgotten!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

word. stop the violence. too many houston legends we've lost. and too many homies lost in general. RIP big hawk!

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

R.I.P. H.A.W.K.

8:11 PM  
Blogger kam said...

R.I.P Hawk,sorry for your loss matt just know the whole city is grieving with you today.

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rest In Peace Big H.A.W.K.
Sweden miss you

11:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Matt! You just took me there dude. Hawk's family needs justice, justice, JUSTICE..... for him, his wife, his brother, children, mother, and sisters. he had to bury his brother Pat due to violence and then meet that very same demise?!......God bless his family and the state of our communities.........R.I.P. Hawk...........................................i need a backwood.......you know ain't nothing changed.... ; )

9:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

zzzzz2018.7.7
uggs outlet
christian louboutin shoes
ralph lauren uk
moncler online outlet
chrome hearts
moncler outlet
nba jerseys
huaraches
kate spade outlet
moncler jackets

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home